Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Template: Bunker
01-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Template: Bunker
Spent days figuring out how several cut areas intended for You Only Live Twice (the only other mission besides Check and Mate with lots of unused room models) connect with the final level design. It's difficult to make sense of what had to be sacrificed for You Only Live Twice, since prior to the Kickstarter campaign there were no screenshots or footage of that level. Thankfully, in the game files there exist test models created as plans for various areas - level09_06.smf helped me understand how the Kovalev zone rooms connect with each other for example. I've created a Template recreating the final layout of the level, along with most of the cut rooms. It's primarily rooms, no doors or anything like that. Again, this is NOT a playable Fan Mission.

Some notes:
  • Floor 2 of the complex was originally connected via air vents, as shown in level09_02.smf and level09_complex_bottom.smf. The air vent models in question are level09_airtrunck15.smf, level09_airtrunck16.smf and level09_airtrunck17.smf.
  • The most baffling cut section of the level is the aforementioned air vents (or airtrunck). 24 models were created, but only 8 ended up being used, and at least 2 have been redesigned since level09_09.smf was created.
  • I have no idea what the intended purpose was for the two addroom models, although they do connect very well to the small collector zone (where Strogov starts the level in the final game).
  • The Kovalev and big collector zones are linked with each other, but I have no idea how they connect with the rest of the level. Was Kovalev only meant to stay in this particular area?
  • Floor 4 of the complex wasn't meant to have the lift access room connected to it as shown in the plans. Floor 5 (where the admiral is) however still has an exit door (in the final game, it's hidden by a blast door, which is a smart move as the final level design makes it impossible to add a new room there).
  • There are two unused complex floors still in the game files. Were they cut because they were unnecessary, or were they designed for Kovalev or Olga?
  • I also have no idea where the entry rooms were meant to be located. level09_entry04.smf looks like it's meant to be a lift access room, but none of the lift shaft models fit the gaps.
  • level09_exit02.smf has an extra open doorway, but it's shut by a blast door in the final game. I've attempted to connect unused rooms to this doorway.

Feedback on what I've done so far is appreciated.

Attached File(s)
.rar  BunkerTemplate.rar (Size: 5.13 KB / Downloads: 328)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Template: Bunker - Liz Shaw - 01-10-2020 03:52 PM
RE: Template: Bunker - Alexey - 01-16-2020, 07:26 PM
RE: Template: Bunker - Liz Shaw - 01-17-2020, 03:09 AM
RE: Template: Bunker - Liz Shaw - 02-25-2021, 01:30 AM
RE: Template: Bunker - Alexey - 02-26-2021, 11:40 AM
RE: Template: Bunker - Liz Shaw - 02-26-2021, 01:20 PM
RE: Template: Bunker - Alexey - 02-26-2021, 05:04 PM
RE: Template: Bunker - Liz Shaw - 02-27-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: Template: Bunker - Samz707 - 10-17-2021, 11:43 PM