Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Submit Ideas for West Berlin/Checkpoint Charlie Mission
11-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Submit Ideas for West Berlin/Checkpoint Charlie Mission
There are unused assets that were intended for Snake Born before it was reworked into a Project Y remake. I'll show them off in the attachments. Among the cut assets are objects related to the infamous Berlin Wall border checkpoint, Checkpoint Charlie. This has inspired me to think about a mission taking place in Checkpoint Charlie, or West Berlin generally. Unfortunately, I can't think of any ideas.

Can anyone please help me think of a scenario? There are some constrains:
  • The mission must take place shortly before the events of Alekhine's Gun (1961 or 1962, when the Berlin Wall was just recently erected).
  • The only original character featured in this mission will be Strogov.
  • I'm trying to avoid an assassination mission if possible, especially since this game is full of them.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 02:35 PM by armitom.)
RE: Submit Ideas for West Berlin/Checkpoint Charlie Mission
I am not very good at ideas Tongue , but here is one, a bit inspired from the recent U.N.C.L.E Film, i dont know how big you can make the levels, but here goes.

You start in East Berlin and have to make your way through checkpoint Charlie and make contact with an informant that has useful information (nukes/assassination plot etc) on the West side, when you get to that location you discover that the informant has been killed, she has left a note that mentions a mole in the KGB, you investigate 1 maybe 2 locations like a Police Building or/and the Checkpoint Station for info about the traitor, turns out that the informant you discovered, wasn't just a KGB spy, but a U.K Double Agent that wanted to defect to the USSR with critical information, however the KGB mole had gotten to her first, after-which you get to the moles location, where you can steal the information from him (from his desk/office) and then extract on the east side again, as an optional objective you should not harm the mole, so in the future when he comes back to the KGB you can arrest him, you could however kill him, or knock-him out and carry him to the extraction point, any of these 3 objectives are valid (can you create multiple/optional objectives? Personally i prefer the not harm idea, as you said you try to avoid assassination, and carrying him would be a bit tedious and possibly hard to ghost.

Not the best of ideas, but its a concept at least.

Whatever you do i know it will be great! Take your time. Smile

Ok, i just noticed from the pictures that the map probably wont be as big as i imagined, so i guess you should keep the same idea, but it would take place only inside the checkpoint station

1.Find infomant, she is dead, but left info about a mole.
2.Find info about mole, informant was a double agent.
3.Steal the info from the mole without harming him.
4.Extract.
11-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks armitom, that's one concept I could consider. It could take some time, however, given I may obviously have to create new models (like East German border guards). Here's some more attachments, I couldn't post them earlier due to limitations.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-07-2016, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 02:52 PM by armitom.)
These look great, i assume these are the unused models from the game, and not created by you?

Edit: Yeah, you said so in the first post, same they never got used in the main game, would have been a killer mission!

In any case, i am looking forward to playing it.
11-07-2016, 02:53 PM
(11-07-2016 02:49 PM)armitom Wrote:  These look great, i assume these are the unused models from the game, and not created by you?

In any case, i am looking forward to playing it.

Yes, as I said, unused models. One of them is completely textureless due to missing files. The black guardhouse windows can be fixed, I just have to add the glass texture file to the alpha part.
11-08-2016, 05:51 AM
I did some searching for images of East German border guards, and I'm convinced that if there's a chance that they could be used in the planned Checkpoint Charlie mission, the best way is to reskin the standard German officer model. They seem to wear Feldgrau, and I have plans to recolor the black SD uniform with that color in the next version of my addon.
11-08-2016, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 11:37 PM by ComradeReptiloid.)
(11-08-2016 05:51 AM)Liz Shaw Wrote:  I did some searching for images of East German border guards, and I'm convinced that if there's a chance that they could be used in the planned Checkpoint Charlie mission, the best way is to reskin the standard German officer model. They seem to wear Feldgrau, and I have plans to recolor the black SD uniform with that color in the next version of my addon.

I can provide gameplay ideas and balancing, because I know a lot about game and AI save/load controlling mechhanics in DtS games and AG.
I dont have any ideas on story or setting, and recommend following Commandos (i gonna make segmented speedrun on 1 instalment) way. Pick famous movie and base mission on that.
BTW, game files contain one unreleased mission named "Polish gift", I try to make it after game and all levels rebalancing will be finished.
PS Can you recorrd tutorial on creating new level?
OFFTOP/AD:
Spoiler: Show
11-09-2016, 04:38 AM
(11-08-2016 11:37 PM)ComradeReptiloid Wrote:  BTW, game files contain one unreleased mission named "Polish gift", I try to make it after game and all levels rebalancing will be finished.
PS Can you recorrd tutorial on creating new level?

"Polish gift" is another name for Polish Surprise. The level is referred to internally as "pgift". If you can remake that mission in Alekhine's Gun, that would be great.

I've backed up my files yesterday, and I hope to download OBS and upload a tutorial video sometime this week. Dishonored 2 is out in two days, but I probably won't have time to play it immediately.
11-09-2016, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 09:06 AM by Hiei-.)
Did someone managed to create a full (working) room yet with the editor using 3dsmax?

It's still what block me to try to create a mission, personally.
11-09-2016, 09:33 PM
(11-09-2016 07:33 AM)Hiei- Wrote:  Did someone managed to create a full (working) room yet with the editor using 3dsmax?

It's still what block me to try to create a mission, personally.

I dont even try. Currently I working on aresting system, which dont work properly. Enemies wont start State_Arrive for some unknow reason. Also I rebalnced zones in mission 4 and 5. No more speedrun exploits.