Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Random patrol for NPCs through level editor?
03-31-2016, 09:20 PM
Random patrol for NPCs through level editor?
I mean is it possible in future through level editor/patch (enabling it while selecting the mission) it will make the game realistic and we will be on our toes all the time.
Is it possible at all?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2016, 10:40 AM
RE: Random patrol for NPCs through level editor?
Yes. It's possible. You can create, for example 10 patrols paths for one NPC and in scripts select by random what path to use. But i doubt, that it will be "friendly" for Extreme difficulty Smile
04-01-2016, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 11:56 AM by allrounder18.)
(04-01-2016 10:40 AM)Alexey Wrote:  Yes. It's possible. You can create, for example 10 patrols paths for one NPC and in scripts select by random what path to use. But i doubt, that it will be "friendly" for Extreme difficulty Smile

WoW uber cool , btw can we make the AI more tougher than it is currently? infact it is a bit unrealistic , one my first mission I killed the guard in front of a carpentar hammering something , he keeps on hammering until I killed him too.

Can we select 3d models of building/things and drop them in the levels or we can create them too ala The Sims games.
04-01-2016, 11:57 AM
(04-01-2016 11:50 AM)allrounder18 Wrote:  WoW uber cool , btw can we make the AI more tougher than it is currently? infact it is a bit unrealistic , one my first mission I killed the guard in front of a carpentar hammering something , he keeps on hammering until I killed him too.

What do you mean in front? Did he saw that and didn't reacted? If you killed guard silently or even with gun, and body falled on distance - than it's normal. They can hear body fall, but only on small distances. This distance can be globaly tweaked - yes.
04-01-2016, 12:01 PM
(04-01-2016 11:50 AM)allrounder18 Wrote:  Can we select 3d models of building/things and drop them in the levels or we can create them too ala The Sims games.

You will be able to select 3d models that already presented in the game. And there will be plugin for 3dsmax to export new modles into the game. But, of course, you must have some game development or modding knowledge to use this tools. It's not a simple drag&drop and let's play.
04-01-2016, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 12:47 PM by allrounder18.)
(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)Alexey Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 11:50 AM)allrounder18 Wrote:  Can we select 3d models of building/things and drop them in the levels or we can create them too ala The Sims games.

You will be able to select 3d models that already presented in the game. And there will be plugin for 3dsmax to export new modles into the game. But, of course, you must have some game development or modding knowledge to use this tools. It's not a simple drag&drop and let's play.

Hmm I am not much in 3d stuff , so I will just the available models so then will it be just drop the available model in the level , make some terrian , add other items and NPCs , set NPCs patrol path/action and violla just press the play button?

(04-01-2016 11:57 AM)Alexey Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 11:50 AM)allrounder18 Wrote:  WoW uber cool , btw can we make the AI more tougher than it is currently? infact it is a bit unrealistic , one my first mission I killed the guard in front of a carpentar hammering something , he keeps on hammering until I killed him too.

What do you mean in front? Did he saw that and didn't reacted? If you killed guard silently or even with gun, and body falled on distance - than it's normal. They can hear body fall, but only on small distances. This distance can be globaly tweaked - yes.

The guard was 3 meter away from him when I garroted him the carptentar was away from him in a 45 degree angle so could have seen his death from his left eye had he used his eye balls if it was a real world , but he totally ignored it and keep on hammering.

I guess another way to solve this is to increase visibility angle of NPCs by setting it to 270 degree? 180 degree for normal vision and 90 degree for sense vision.
04-01-2016, 12:50 PM
(04-01-2016 12:30 PM)allrounder18 Wrote:  Hmm I am not much in 3d stuff , so I will just the available models so then will it be just drop the available model in the level , make some terrian , add other items and NPCs , set NPCs patrol path/action and violla just press the play button?

Sort of. It's not hard to do what you described. But to create some complex levels, like in game - there will be required some knowledge and understanding of scripting.

(04-01-2016 12:30 PM)allrounder18 Wrote:  The guard was 3 meter away from him when I garroted him the carptentar was away from him in a 45 degree angle so could have seen his death from his left eye had he used his eye balls if it was a real world , but he totally ignored it and keep on hammering.

I guess another way to solve this is to increase visibility angle of NPCs by setting it to 270 degree?

His visibility cone can be seen if you activate "Instinct". It's dynamic. Canbe larger if you closer to NPC and smaller if you on distance. Garroted enemies fall without any sound. Maybe boxes that he hammering blocked his vision?
04-01-2016, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 03:54 PM by allrounder18.)
Quote:His visibility cone can be seen if you activate "Instinct". It's dynamic. Canbe larger if you closer to NPC and smaller if you on distance. Garroted enemies fall without any sound. Maybe boxes that he hammering blocked his vision?

can't be the boxes should only limit his straight vision he was practically on his left side.

BTW any idea when the level editor is releasing?
04-01-2016, 03:43 PM
I guess it won't be before a few months, the game should be pretty stable before releasing a level editor and the game still have some random crashes for now, and there are still a few things to fix/add.
04-02-2016, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 12:08 PM by ComradeReptiloid.)
(04-01-2016 10:40 AM)Alexey Wrote:  Yes. It's possible. You can create, for example 10 patrols paths for one NPC and in scripts select by random what path to use. But i doubt, that it will be "friendly" for Extreme difficulty Smile
You hit the spot there. That so unfair. I'm dying on mission 9. I got right scripts timings 1 time out of 20. 19 times dude comes into toilet and patrolling one blocking my fastest way by his LoS. And 1 time timings delay, he standing near staircase with his back turned on you, toilet sailor dont move yet and you can run through the coridor using whistle than run tactic.
I hate this mission so much for speedruning. Another big problem - random script timing for target in the bar and this shitty script completely borke in case you got 1 milisecond late or whistle in a wrong position. Actualy i upload this mission soon and you will see, what i'm talking about. I got my time after 100 retries i think.